Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Organic Strawberry Pie

Over the busy weekend {and reason for my recent absence on this blog!}, I picked up some gorgeous organic strawberries from the New Haven Farmers Market.  I could smell them as I walked by, and just couldn't resist.  I knew immediately that I wanted to make a pie!  So today I did, and boy was it good!  I'm talkin' like blue ribbon good!  Here's the recipe:

I started with a home made crust that I had in the freezer from a previous batch.  I can't recommend enough using your own crust!  It's so easy to make and it makes ALL the difference!

Place the rolled out crust into your pie dish and turn under the edges so you can make a thick decorative crust.  I prefer the ripple method, but use whatever your little heart desires!  Make sure to use a fork and poke the heck out of the crust along the sides and bottom so it doesn't puff up when you bake it.

Place a sheet of tin foil in the crust and pour in some pie weights or rice {like I used} if you don't have any weights.  Large dried beans work well too!  Cook the crust at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then remove the foil and weights.  Continue to cook for another 5 minutes. You want it to be slightly golden brown but not too much because you have to put it under the broiler to crisp up the topping at the end!

 Here's what mine looked like when I took it out of the oven.  Mmmm-mmm. 

While the crust is still warm, spread a quarter cup of Nutella on the bottom.  This is optional, but come on...who doesn't LOVE Nutella, especially with strawberries!!  Set the crust aside, and start on the filling.

Here are the gorgeous organic strawberries from the farmers market.  I've become a bit of a strawberry snob lately, since finding out how yucky non organic strawberries are.  So, I never use anything but organic when making a pie that's this good!!  I think I had about four or five cups of strawberries, but they were very small.  Not those honker ones that are grown with crazy pesticides.  I diced up about two cups and halved and quartered the rest. 

Place the diced strawberries in a pan with 3/4 a cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of cornstarch.  Cook on medium heat until it combines.  Stir well with a whisk, and break up the strawberries as you stir.  

When the mixture looks like this, cut the heat down to low and keep stirring and mashing!  Cook until the mixture becomes thick and sticks to the whisk.

This is what the gorgeous mixture should look like when it's ready for the rest of the strawberries.  Glossy, thick and luscious.  Oh boy.

Add the rest of the strawberries and stir around until they combine and look so good they should be in a movie.

Carefully pour into the pie dish {those suckers are hot}.

Make a quick crumble topping by throwing a quarter cup of cold butter, a cup of brown sugar, and a cup of flour into the food processor.  Sprinkle over the top of the pie.  Place the pie under the broiler of your oven, but don't walk away!!  This cooks super fast and you don't want to burn the crust!  Also, be sure to brush off any crumble that may be on the crust.  It just melts and burns.  I think I left it under the broiler for about 3 minutes.  Just enough for it to brown!

And here's what it looks like all done!!  I know you want to dive into it right now, but wait!  It has to sit in the fridge for at least two hours.  I know, I know.  It's like cruel and unusual punishment.  But trust me, it's worth it!!

Oh boy, is it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...